Visiting Island Vacations in April? Here’s a list of events taking place that you might enjoy while you’re here!
Every Sunday in April Visit the Sanibel Island Farmers Market!
The Sanibel Island Farmers Market is the brainchild of two island residents, Jean Baer & Betsy Ventura. It has grown to become an island happening and we don’t want you to miss the opportunity to experience this community hot spot. It’s a great place to pick up food for your stay, meet locals & get a feel for the Sanibel community. You’ll find fresh baked goods, fresh flowers, locally grown fruits, vegetables, and meats as well as items that make thoughtful gifts for friends back home. The Farmers Market is located on Dunlop Road, next to City Hall and runs from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. Well behaved dogs on leashes are welcome.
‘Ding Darling National Wildlife Refuge – April Events
There’s a lot to do at The ‘Ding Darling National Wildlife Refuge! Many of their programs are free. To get a better idea of what may interest your group, visit their website in the link above. We’re sure you’ll discover something fun & interesting each time you visit the Refuge!
- Mondays through April 17th – Take a free “Bike the Refuge Tour”. See the ‘Ding Darling Refuge up close on a guided tour with one of the refuge rangers. Meet in front of the education center.
- Tuesday through April 18th – Free Birding Tours – The ‘Ding Darling Refuge is part of a bird flyway, so all types of birds travel this flyway throughout the year. Take a tour and see what species are currently calling the Refuge home!
- Saturdays & Sundays through April 23rd – Free programs at the Refuge. For specific topics visit their website.
The refuge is open 7:30 a.m. – 7 p.m. daily. The refuge is closed to car traffic on Fridays, but accessible by bike or on foot. It is located on San-Cap Road.
Sanibel Captiva Conservation Foundation (SCCF)
If you love turtles, this is the place to come. SCCF monitors our turtle population & makes sure nests are marked and the turtles are protected. They watch over the local marine life & environment. SCCF maintains many of the island’s nature trails and house a native plant nursery where the best plants for our local climate are found. Their nature center is informative, they have a great gift shop, and its air conditioned! Stop in and learn about the island environment. You can find walking trail maps here. The refuge is located at 3333 San-Cap Road & is open M-F from 8:30 a.m. – 4 p.m. through May. They close at 3 p.m. June – September.
For program descriptions, times and fees visit their website above. Here’s an example of April Events at SCCF:
- Thursdays – April 13th & 27th – Turtle Talks – Learn all about the turtles that nest here & how SCCF & Island residents work to keep them safe.
- Friday – April 21st – Earth Day – Check in with SCCF and see what special event they have scheduled.
- Wednesdays – from 10 a.m. – 11 a.m. – Enjoy a walking tour of the Bailey Homestead on Periwinkle Way. The Bailey Family is one of the pioneer families still living on the island and their original homestead has been restored. Experience life on the islands as those who settled on Sanibel in the 1800’s did.
Holiday Services on Sanibel
The community has several Easter Services planned throughout the island. Please see your preferred house of worship for details. There is a Seder scheduled for April 10th at the Sanibel Community House (more information here).
April is a beautiful month on Sanibel. We hope you’ll enjoy the island and all it offers. Your best Island Vacations experience is waiting for you. See you soon!